Director of the Compensation Evaluation Service
Alan N. Crist, Ph.D., is the Director and Senior Consultant for the AGB Search/CUPA-HR Compensation Evaluation Service. The Compensation Evaluation Service (CES), a partnership of AGB Search and the College and University Professional Association for Human Resources (CUPA-HR), provides benchmarking of executive compensation.
Dr. Crist joined AGB Search in 2015. He also serves as Senior Associate Vice President Emeritus of the University of Wisconsin System. Among the numerous searches conducted in recent years by Dr. Crist are:
- Clarion University (PA) – Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management
- University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh – Vice Chancellor for Administrative Services & Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs
- Dakota State University – Dean of the College of Business and Information Systems
- San Diego State University (CA) – Dean of the College of Extended Studies; Dean of the College of Health and Human Services; Dean of the College of Sciences
- University of Wisconsin-La Crosse – Director of Human Resources
- Minnesota State University System – Vice Chancellor for Human Resources
- College of DuPage (IL) – President
Dr. Crist has nearly 45 years of diverse leadership experience in higher education, with 11 years as the chief human resources officer for the University of Wisconsin System (UWS). During his time with UWS, he coordinated 31 senior executive searches; 22 chancellors, one president, five senior vice presidents, two vice presidents, and one chief audit executive.
Before joining UWS, Dr. Crist served for 30 years in enrollment management and admissions leadership positions at UW-Madison, Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI), and UW-Parkside. During his time at IUPUI he served a year at the College of DuPage as an ACE Fellow (1996-97). Also while at IUPUI he had a joint appointment with Ivy Tech Indianapolis as part of its student preparation and transfer articulation program. With his work at public two year, four year regional, urban, and flagship institutions and university system administration, Dr. Crist has a unique perspective on public higher education and the leadership opportunities and challenges which makes him a valuable resource to search and screen committees, governing boards, and institutional leadership.
Dr. Crist earned his Ph.D. in Educational Administration, MA in Educational Policy Studies, BBA in Organization and Management with a concentration in Personnel Management all from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.